Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Ups and Downs of the Polar Bear

Although I still have not decided on a name and probably never will, my boy is referred to as The Polar Bear by all my colleagues now, adding to his identity crisis. He rarely comes to work these days as it seems to cause him less stress to stay at home. However, he did come two nights ago so that he would be protected in our underground parking garage both from the heat and from the noise of the July 4th fireworks being set off a day early. Poor guy, between the stifling heat and the noise and mayhem of this holiday, it has been a Quiet Moments weekend for us and we haven't had to whip those out in awhile. I took him to my parents' house yesterday and we spent the night as it was much quieter there plus their house is air conditioned. He even made it all the way around their neighborhood for his regular walk despite the parties and noise.

PB went to the vet again last week as I was not organized enough the last time to get all my questions together plus we realized he was due for a couple shots. So back we went. He still wouldn't go inside but was far more relaxed in the parking lot. My vet looked at the discoloration in his molars and said that he is likely a tooth grinder which is a stress outlet much like in people but there is nothing to be concerned about. She also looked at a little spot on his tummy which he licks a lot and declared a small yeast infection to have set in. Lovely. So I have some ointment for that. Otherwise he is in good health and he got his shots. I also got some worming medication for him that I give him once a month since he is such a little scavenger. He is due in October for his rabies shot so we will go back and I will also schedule a blood draw at that time just to check levels as well as for a sample for the extended thyroid test that has been recommended by various people.

We haven't been back to the park in awhile so it's unknown about how he's doing with other dogs. I have noticed that when I am walking him on lead and using only the Halti and leash, he has no adverse reactions to other dogs. He still gets excited but in no way aggressive or in the manner he has at the park. My vet said that it may be the feeling of the muzzle strap around his neck plus another dog making him feel trapped that evokes a reaction. Although his new muzzle is much more comfortable and fits much better, it does make him look like the Hannibal Lecter of dogs and has a lot more straps than the other one. In essence, this aggression is probably another form of barrier frustration. I will look into it further with the behaviorist but I am relieved to see he is fine with other dogs when the muzzle is not on.

In this never ending cycle of crests and troughs with my big white dog, I am back to feeling as though I have endless patience with him and my frustration is a thing of the past. He is such a poignant dog in so many ways. His every move is very slow, precise and gentle. Even now, as he hides at my feet under the desk because there are still fireworks being set off, he very gently places his chin on my foot looking for reassurance. It's hard to believe this huge noble boy is, in reality, a lost little puppy constantly looking to me to protect him. He can look so utterly bereft and terrified that it is heartbreaking, unbelievable to think someone could have hurt him as he must have been hurt. It's hard to hold onto frustration for very long with him when he is the most forgiving, gentle, polite dog one could imagine.

His undeniable life of luxury here gives me great joy to provide to him. He has even learned to love the baths I give him every 3 weeks or so. On a hot day we head to the deck and he gets a thorough scrubbing which he loves but his favorite part is the toweling off at the end. A polar bear massage he seems to think. Due to the gravitational pull of his ever increasing dirt hole, he tends to get dirty and sappy beyond belief, hence the regular baths. And what a prancer when he has dried off. He gleams and seems to know he is a showstopping boy. In fact, my dad and I walked him around his regular route in their neighborhood last week right after a bath and someone actually turned around and drove back after they passed us to ask what kind of dog he was and to exclaim over his beauty.


We have had great success working with his mat and Control Unleashed. Unless his mat is out, he will rarely lay down or relax but if I bring it with, he will lie down wherever we are and sleep. We continue as always to work with all our other training tools and once my schedule changes in September and I have Friday's off, we will return for more T Touch. He does get out of practice in dealing with people if his exposure is limited for awhile. He regressed slightly at work but there are several male co-workers of mine that he has accepted and will allow to pet him which is a huge step forward. Others evoke a very strong negative reaction and I have not been able to figure out why or what makes the difference. He also regresses slightly with my dad if he hasn't been over to their house for awhile but he quickly picks up the routine and returns to where we left off.

The Polar Bear will attempt in future days to pose for some more photos in other settings beyond the backyard and we will post them as I take them.

And finally, on a completely different note, thoughts and prayers go out to Lieutenant Chris McOmber's wife and family this weekend. Chris died on Friday far too young, of cancer. He was a great Lieutenant, friend and mentor to many of us and a great father to his kids. Only the good die young.

No comments: