In between my ever swelling knee, my involuntary naps brought on by my anti-nausea medication and the ironic hyperactivity that fights with the drowsiness and makes me clean obsessively (you thought I was obsessive BEFORE this! Ha!), the hours pass like quick silver. I now know how I ended up with the polar bear. Driven by some unknown facet of my pain meds, I am chained to the computer, checking on line for updates I don't even care about, checking work and personal email etc. and of course, somehow always ending up on petfinder by the end. I used to laughingly explain the acquisition of the PB to being high on Vicodin and lo and behold, I spoke the truth.
In an attempt to mitigate my drive to acquire a new animal like last time, I have settled on a cat this time. I loved Maudie and still do but her quality of life was horrible since she could never adjust to the presence of a dog, even a calm, low key dog like the polar bear. The obvious solution to providing the PB with a companion but without the degree of work involved with a dog, is to get a cat who is well adjusted to dogs. I love cats and thus the cat would not simply be a living, breathing plaything for him but an animal I will happily love and spoil. I have always wanted a Bengal and have located 3 gorgeous gray tabby/Bengal mixes in Wenatchee. They are kittens and should adapt to PB quickly. I have yet to confirm if they are still there but will call tomorrow and who knows, by my next blog posting, adorable kitten photos could be adorning this very site. Here is one of them:

It's only been a week but I my cabin fever is making me crawl the walls. Crawl literally since I still struggle with walking. The pain has abated but the swelling has taken over. On Friday I went back to the doctor so they could remove 60 cc's of blood from the joint. My entire leg was ridiculously fat and I swear I could hear the fluid sloshing around in there. The only upside to that kind of pressure is that it seemed to ameliorate a lot of the excruciating pain I felt the day before. Judging by how things look today, I will be back in his office tomorrow getting another large gauge needle jammed in there.
Yet another benefit of being imprisoned in my own home and on the computer all the time is that I can successfully stalk those people who have real lives. Thus I have been in contact with PB's behaviorist who has suggested 4 mg of melatonin for PB 30 minutes before a stressful event i.e. a walk. Sad but true that a walk is a stressful event. She recommended a couple other all natural supplements that might aid him and I will try them if the melatonin doesn't work. I am far more at ease in trying those options than in trying the Rx drugs. As soon as I can venture out as well as walk on my own, I will give this a try.
And finally, while Polar Bear is an apt name for my boy, it isn't anything I want engraved on his name tag so we have narrowed it down to the following which I fully expect you all to vote on. Remember, I have time to stalk right now.
They are: Kai, Ulysses and Quasar. Thoughts? Choices? Write ins? Obviously I need help people - it's been almost 10 months now! And now I must heed the call of cleaning. Ask not for whom it tolls. It tolls for thee!
4 comments:
1. I cannot believe you're getting another animal! Those drugs really do a number on you. (the cat does look incredibly cute though)
2. I vote PB since it has been 10 months, I think you have already done the naming whether you know it or not.
3. I'm not entirely clear how you are hobbling around and yet still cleaning - perhaps that has something to do with the fluid building up??
Lastly, if you want a visitor, Scout and I will not be at work Tuesday and could come visit. Hope you are feeling better soon. -T
I know, I am a sucker! I don't think my pharmacist has a warning label that says "Caution. You may acquire new animals while taking this medication". But he should!
As for the cleaning, you can use the vacuum cleaner as a crutch. And Tuesday - I have to go get this thing drained again and then I may be driving to Wenatchee to view the little bundles of kitten cuteness. But if I am not, I'll call you.
One vote against Ulysses! Kai is nice. Nanuq - isn't that Polar Bear in the Inuit language?
Ulysses is for sissies.
Sorry, couldn't resist.
I like Kai mostly because it kind of sound like OKAY. Which I think is good for him. Of course Baby PB is good too.
Quasar is kind of cool but I couldn't yell it without pointing up at the sky in an excited manner.
Poor you with your leg. It sounds awful.
Love the kitties. I vote yes for kitties for Baby PB. I hear two is a good number of kittens to get ...... LOL
Post a Comment