"I was dubious at first too."
Last night, I took PB to work for the first time in months. I thought it would be good for him to get some exposure to strangers, to take a walk through the city and see how he would really do. I admit I was a little hesitant because he has been doing so well, I didn't want to find out it wasn't as well as I have taken it to be.
"What? Hold on. You *doubted* me???"
I did. I confess. But he floored me with his nonchalance. We walked through the city from City Hall to the downtown park. It was windy so there were lots of noises, lots of people, lots of activity and he handled it all without a blink of the eye. We stood on street corners with crowds of people waiting for the crosswalk right of way and he couldn't have cared less. We walked for an hour and ended up back at City Hall. Because he was doing so well, I decided to push my luck and bring him into the station. In the past, he would never even approach the doors as they are sliding glass doors and they terrified him. Instead, he walked right through, pranced inside and said hello to all my co-workers, took treats, wandered around the station and generally acted like a social butterfly. I was astonished and so were all my co-workers who were regularly treated to his insane barking from the car and growling and barking if the men got too close. I took him back to the car and lavished treats and love on him. He brought a tear to my eye last night.
"Yawn. Whatever. I always knew I had it in me."
I drove around with a grin on my face all night. Around 0200 hrs, I got him out again and took him back in the station where he met more people, got loads more treats and I even was able to take him up to Records where the ladies ooohed and aaahed over him and gave him treats as well. The only thing we didn't conquer was the elevator! He actually seemed to enjoy all the fuss everyone made over him with only a few moments of worried looking about. So from now on, I will take him to work every so often as it's a great way to expand his socialization and make sure he isn't too isolated at home. His capacity to handle the world has grown immensely.
"I own this place now and don't you forget it!"
The lovefest between PB and kittens continues and it has been immensely useful to have them around for him to interact with and protect. They adore him and although he enjoys them, he is still far more attached to me and can sometimes be rather aloof with them. They persist though, in throwing themselves at his feet and begging for his attention. It's rather pathetic to see such desperation! But he is and will ever be, a mama's boy.
"I love you mama. Even though you look like you work for UPS."
2 comments:
Happy Anniversary, Wanderlust and Baby!
Happy Anniversary from us too!
Post a Comment