Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Foot Dragging Tired

PB and I are both exhausted. I am tired because of a bed bug infestation in my house. I don't know where they came from - my guess is the Spo-Compton hotel - but when they come, they don't want to leave. We had the pest control guy out this morning and you wouldn't believe what one must go through to get rid of these little bastards. I have washed and dried everything I own on hot cycles, paid a ridiculous amount of money to have my local dry cleaner dry all my duvets and bed linens in their huge dryer on high, obsessively showered, compulsively picked through PB and the cat's fur like some kind of demented baboon to be sure this really isn't fleas and mostly made offerings to the gods that this pest control poison I will now be sleeping in is going to work.

I can heartily suggest bed bugs as an effective psychological torture device. Although they don't carry diseases and mine I cannot even see - in fact the pest control guy is dubious as to whether I really have them as we found no signs - but I can assure you that when I go to bed, I can feel the buggers crawling on me and I wake up with bites all over me. For someone who is mildly OCD about things being neat and clean, this is intolerable. Hence I have not really slept for days. This really sucks in every sense of the word, especially when you work nights and you're tired all the time anyway. But enough of the woe is me...


PB is also very tired but for a much better reason.



Screw you.


Last Friday, I had to go into work for a meeting and I decided to bring the Polar Bear with me since it was a short meeting. I took him running with me beforehand as it was a nice day and I thought he would enjoy seeing some new scenery and running through the nature park we haven't visited in awhile. I now know he would have preferred to see that scenery from the car. Once PB realized we were actually going to run THE WHOLE WAY, he put on the brakes and would not move. It took me forever to get him going again and I had to stop every mile or so and let him walk and rest because his porky self is out of running shape. Granted it was almost 6 miles and I didn't want to injure PB but nevertheless, walking every mile for a a few hundred meters is rather pathetic for my noble boy. But walk we did as he put on his face of misery and acted like I was killing him. Kind of like this face when Dexie woke him up later that night:





I'm sure she has a leash for you, orange menace. Next time YOU run 6 miles.


After the run, I gave him a raw bone to gnaw on in the car, a big bowl of water and his huge squishy bed to lie in while I went to my meeting. When I returned, for the first time ever, I stood at the open window looking in on him and he was sound asleep despite all the foot traffic past the car. Finally! A solution to the barking! Poor PB was dead to the world and I promised him I would not make him run again.



Did you amputate your own feet Polar Bear?




We got home and he went out into the yard and immediately posed for the first picture on this post and that's where he remained for the rest of the day.

PB graduates tonight and we are excited. Or at least I am. PB was so stressed by the pest control/bed bug killer man that I had to break out his bandana and DAP spray for the first time in ages. PB was not impressed.



Go ahead. Invite him back.



I even had to put on his doggy suicide music because he was so wound up. Hopefully he will be calmer by this evening. As you can see, Stabitha has become accustomed to strangers in the house due to people looking at the house to buy so she is completely unfazed. Poor PB. It's been a tough week for him but he will no doubt recover when the treats come out tonight. Assuming I don't put on my running shoes before we go...

No comments: