Wednesday, July 14, 2010

It's A Dog's Life

The Polar Bear and I made one of our immensely enjoyable trips up north to Tsawwassen yesterday to visit our Canadians friends at Boundary Bay. The weather was gorgeous - not too hot and not to cold. The Polar Bear has come to love long road trips. As soon as we are up to speed on the freeway, he passes out in his newest bed sound asleep until we arrive. Perhaps the only living being to enjoy Border Control, he knows when we go through that booth, that good things await him.


No deeper than this please. I am not a lab.


Because the tide was out, we had miles of beach to play on and no one around so the leashes quickly came off and the Polar Bear finally got to run and play with dogs he doesn't want to consume. Like Daisy and Zyra, who are far too fast for him.



The girls disappear into the wild blue yonder.


We found lots of shells (which the over zealous park patrol "ranger" had a fit of enforcement over til he was reminded they are actually dead, sir, and there is nothing endangered about shells. Sheesh...the whole point of law enforcement is discretion and knowing when to use it!). Dennis found this flounder which of course we put back right away and it was no worse for the wear.


"Hello? Mr. Park Patrol? Call 911!"



And of course there was the Polar Bear's step-foster brother, Bear who is *adorable* in his new fuzzy coat and if ever there was a dog that lived up to his name, it is Bear.




Don't lie. I know you have treats.



While Bear was being irresistible and distracting, a guilty looking Polar Bear, free from his leash, tried to make a getaway.




What? I have no idea what you're talking about.



If you don't look where you're going PB, you will enter Darwin's sphere of influence, otherwise known as endless circles in search of birds.



Darwin doin' what he does best.



But Darwin was not imagining things. There were tons of seabirds and there was also this:



Keep that black and white mutt away from me!


If you look very closely, you can also see the baby ducklings in the background. Luckily for the heron, he had retired to a tree by the time Darwin arrived. I think Darwin would have had a mild seizure if he had seen this guy!

And of course, there's Zyra, the ball oriented energizer bunny! I love this photo of her because it is so out of character for her. She is such a sweet goofy girl but here, she looks like one of those spiteful, sniping housewives of New Jersey or whatever that show is. I haven't actually seen it since I still haven't turned on my TV but this is how I imagine them!



Don't even THINK about touching my ball!



The Polar Bear and I spent 4 hours up north and he was one exhausted pup by the time we got home. Initially, he retired to his newest hole under this tree, where he proceeded to bark non-stop at the pressure washer my contractor had left in the yard.



Get. That. Thing. Out of here.



After 20 minutes of listening to him defend me from the evil tools, I moved everything to the side of the house and PB was able to relax in his favorite spot on the lawn, the clover patch I have been unable to kill because I don't want to put poison in the yard with PB sleeping out there so much with the hot weather.



Kinda looks like the daisies are pushing PB up!


The perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments: