Tuesday, March 13, 2012

New Additions

There have been new additions to the zoo lately. First of all, shortly after acquiring Lola, I realized my $50 rescue dog would require a $20,000 new car as the old dog sled was too small for both to comfortably fit. So I went shopping and came home with this:


Not actual vehicle.


It actually *is* my actual vehicle only not the one in my garage. Same year, same style, same color. It's a 2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport and I LOVE it. So do the kids who can now lounge in style in the rear while Miss Daisy chauffeurs them around.

Speaking of the kids, I acquired a new one. I decided Dexter needed a more active playmate and Stabby, love her dearly, doesn't have the word "active" anywhere in her vocabulary. Ideally she would have me bring food, water, litter box and love to her in front of the fire so she never had to move again. Thus Captain Hook was introduced.


Hello. I am Captain Hook. Hook for short.


My illustrious co-workers immediately seized on the name Hooker of course. But I call him Hook or the Hookster. Hook got his name because he has a deformed front leg which curves inward. He walks on the entire foreleg instead of his pad. And did I mention Hook has about 9 extra toes? He is a poly dactyl and the vet said she had never seen a cat with so many toes. Some of his toes don't have claws which is even more bizarre. Suffice it to say, Hook fits right in at my home for retarded animals. There are enough extra toes and dew claws in my house now to make a whole new animal!

Hook came from Yakima where he was found living under someone's deck as a stray. After many tries and great patience, a small rescue group was able to grab him and put him in foster. He is a gorgeous cat. Long haired buff and white and he is full of vim and vigor which is just what I needed for Dex. The cats adjusted to him immediately. Lola has been great as well. Surprisingly, the Polar Bear has become obsessed with him. Not sure why Hook holds such fascination but they are still working out their roles and PB has been whacked more than once by a toe-filled foot.


Who are you and why are you in my kitty condo?



Mom, the gimp ran under the ottoman!

PB stood stock still like that for well over 30 minutes trying to wait Hook out. I finally took pity on the poor cat and rescued him.

As a welcome home gift, my mom purchased an amusing (and not so amusingly loud) toy which is comprised of a wand stuck to a battery operated swivel that moves the wand under a sheet, simulating a mouse running around. Hook will chase it for *hours*, assuming I don't become suicidal listening to it in the meantime. Here's a short video I took of him and if you look closely, you can see how well he has adapted to moving on his peg leg. You can also hear why the kids have a time limit on how long mom can listen to it. (Excuse the bad color quality - not sure what went wrong there. No doubt user error.)







Meanwhile, our bi-polar weather is making spending quality time with the dogs more difficult than usual.


Early in the day, we awoke to this:


Dexter stops to smell the flowers.



By afternoon, the Polar Bear was shaking off the snow:


It's in my ears mom. Get it out.


While the dogs played in the snow, I went to QFC and spoke to the butcher as part of my experimentation with feeding raw on my own. He sold me a *giant* femur bone which he cut in half for the dogs. Only $4 for the whole thing. No more exorbitant pet store prices for me.



One half of doggie bliss.



Unfortunately, when the PB is done gnawing on his bone, he likes to wipe his face in the dirt.



What?


Even I must admit that we are maxed out on the animals at this point. Space and money does not permit new additions but my motley crew is more than worth the endless entertainment.

Finally, PB's foster mom put up a great reminder in honor of International Women's Day. Check out this article first and then go to her blog to watch "Are We Equal". Short and succinct.

4 comments:

hornblower said...

Yay! You got him! He's gorgeous!!!!


but I can't watch the video - says it's private :(

Congratulations to all of you!

Wanderlust said...

Ooops. I'll reset the video to non private. Sorry :(

Wanderlust said...

Ooops. I'll reset the video to non private. Sorry :(

hornblower said...

yay, video works! I saw the paw! What a cutey boy!