Since that time, I have increased PB's Prozac back to what it was with almost instant results. They are never left alone with treats now as they once were but things have calmed back down and order has reigned. Our behaviorist, Dr. Sung, came over on Saturday and agreed with me in that Lola is now the beta dog after 4 months of PB bowing to her in submission. However, PB is not allowed to bully her in any way and of course, he knows mom is still in charge and does not challenge me. He has spent some quality time in doggie jail where he goes for time out.
Although only 3 years separate Baby (6 yo) and Lola the difference in their activity levels is marked on some days. Baby is happy to lie around on the deck and not lift a paw while Lola frequently gets the zoomies. So yesterday I decided perhaps Lola needed to go for a little run with me to get her energy out. I limited it to 5 miles but it was a warm day and she was dying by the end. I stopped 3 times for her to rest but her porky self was struggling. We got home and she collapsed on the wood floor in dramatic style, puffing away like a steam engine. Next time, 3 miles I think!
Do I look like a greyhound?
Little miss pinhead has gained more than enough weight to fill her out which kind of makes her head look too small for her body right now. Thus the running is serving a diet purpose too. But she was good natured about it as she is about pretty much everything.
When I got home and showered from the run, I then took PB to the river trail where we walked in the sun for an hour so he could have some one on one time with mom and work on his doggie manners. It doesn't take long for him to overheat in the sun so when we got home, he assumed his position on the deck, noble and posed as always but panting up a storm.
What is that dappled light behind me?
That left mom, who is suffering from pancreatitis again, to lounge on the sofa high on percocet. Which of course means I devour books at a high rate of speed since I can't eat or do much of anything. Even a short run leaves me feeling pretty run down. So here's the book review:
Quiet by Susan Cain

Being an unabashed introvert myself, I thoroughly enjoyed this book which celebrates the fact that introverts are a critical part of the intelligentsia in our culture. This is sometimes hard to believe, particularly in the US, where doing things in gaggles, teams, and groups is almost always heralded as the preferred manner of doing things. However, if you are like me, you almost always prefer to work alone and do your best work while everyone else is off being social and drowning each other out in meetings, social media etc. It was refreshing to know that some of us just like to be hermits and that there is a definite, valuable niche for us. The book is an easy read and while I wouldn't call it a brilliant analysis, it definitely gives one something to think about.
Next up was this book which I couldn't put down:
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

I first heard of Henrietta Lacks while reading The Emperor of All Maladies. Lacks died in her early 30's from cervical cancer. Standard procedures of the times saw a few of her cancer cells taken as a specimen at Johns Hopkins and to everyone's surprise, those cells grew at a phenomenal rate in test tubes, beakers, cultures - pretty much any medium they were put in. The incredible fecundity of the cells at a time when researchers had great difficulty getting any cells to grow, let alone cancer cells, meant that Lacks' cells were dispersed all over the globe for scientific research. The cells are still in existence in labs all over the world today. The book is less preoccupied with the scientific reproduction of the cells as it is with the medical ethics involved. Lacks' family had no idea what was done with her cells, the incredible medical advances that occurred because of her cells and the profit that was made from them. It's a much bigger book than the cells themselves. It tells the story of Lacks' children, grandchildren, their education, struggles, both racial and sociological and the shameful misinformation given to them by the medical community. It's an extraordinary story and I'd be willing to bet that anyone reading this book has benefited in some way by Henrietta Lacks' cancer cells. Definitely worth reading.
Lastly: The Dovekeepers by Alice Hoffman.

Hoffman took a little known fact recorded by an ancient historian, Josephus, which describes the taking of Masada in Israel by the Roman legion and turned it into a full fledged historical novel. Josephus writes that of 900 Jews who had taken refuge at King Herod's ancient temple in Masada, only 2 women and 5 children survived. Hoffman writes a stunning book in which she envisions who those two women were and what led them to Masada, how they survived and what their daily life may have been like. It's an utterly fascinating insight into a culture that imbues its religion into every aspect of life and it gives the reader a much more nuanced view of just what the Jews have suffered throughout history. This is a huge, panoramic story that began with the smallest of tales.
Lastly, Hooker would like to say hello. His brother the Polar Bear still has a bit of a stalkerish crush on him and will stand staring at him obsessed if I do not remove him from the cat room.
MOOOOM, he's back!
Baby will stand stock still just like this for hours if I allowed him to. Hook doesn't seem the least bit perturbed since PB is too afraid to actually take any action as he knows it will earn him a swift swat on the nose.
Dexter, the negotiator, steps in.
Dex will often position himself between them in a protective manner although Hook can more than hold his own. Dex and Hook adore each other and I will often find them sleeping together in their giant bed.
Don't make me whack you with my giant mitt!
That's all folks. The only upside to the pancreas issue is that I tend to blog more so more will come.
1 comment:
Jeez, that must have been scary with the two of them going at it. I am sorry it happened though glad to hear order has been restored. Sorry you're feeling sick too!
Post a Comment