Saturday, August 18, 2012

Long Time No Post!

We are back after a long hiatus.  The past few weeks have been filled with moving, overseeing projects, workers, contractors and finally getting settled.  Much work had to be done on the house - roof cleaned, windows washed, fence built, carpets cleaned, interior paint, laminate installed and a ridiculous amount of yard work which I fondly refer to as farm work.  But all was accomplished in record time and the kids and I are finally settled in our little piece of paradise.  I couldn't be more thrilled.  As I sit typing this, Lola and the PB are roaming their huge acre plus fenced yard, the north Cascades are looking spectacular and all my fruit trees are fully laden with apples, blueberries and pears.  A few pics:


This fabulous plant is growing in my second pond.  It is a giant Japanese Butterbur.  Yes, it took me a lot of googling to discover that!



The before photo.


Prior to removing the carpet and repainting the walls and wainscoting...



The after photos.  White wainscoting, a lovely grayish green for the walls and Brazilian cherry floors.



 The kids in their giant playground.  Notice the new, bank breaking 6' cedar fence.  That should keep Houdini in.




My gorgeous hibiscus tree and bird feeders.  I have abundant bird life in the back yard between all the varieties of trees as well as the ponds.



Today's project - turning this patch of empty, dusty ground into a hasta garden.  A few more rocks still needed...



The addition of new doors makes my shed look more like a barn to my delight.  There is a huge chicken coop in the back and 5 lovely ladies are on their way to me.  Fresh eggs soon.



Dexter, released from captivity, is still wary of coming all the way downstairs so he lays on the landing and supervises.



The Africa room as I call it.  Everything in this room comes from my Africa travels.  I am particularly fond of the drum table in the center of the room.



The Africa room from a different angle.  Alas, I took the photo at an angle so the paintings look askew!  Also a better shot of the upgrades to these rooms.


I marvel that I was able to buy this house and property for the amount I did and that I was able to find something that fit my needs so perfectly.  It gives me no end of pleasure to see the dogs outside all day, chasing each other around the yard and so obviously as happy as can be.  

There are horses across the street from us, alpacas next door and fabulous neighbors.  My alpaca neighbor's two daughters brought me a bucketful of fabulous golden plums last weekend from their fruit trees and I picked loads of blueberries from my own trees this week.  I have tilled the soil in the extensive veggie gardens left by the previous owners and come next spring, I will have a huge veggie garden undertaking.  They also left arbors and trellises for peas and beans all of which will be used.  

So at this juncture, my blog will likely turn from being a journey of rehabilitating a damaged dog to a new chapter of chronicling my life on the mini farm and all my blunders and humorous travails.  They are already adding up but that's for the next post!  We hope you are all having a wonderful summer.  Another post coming soon...

2 comments:

Zyra said...

Congratulations! It's a beautiful house and property. The fur kids are going to be very happy there... oh, and you, too. lol.

hornblower said...

wow, it looks gorgeous!!!! Congratulations! (ps I've been fine - just too lazy/busy to blog)