Saturday, March 2, 2013

Smudge

In spite of being sick and another recent surgery, things have been a little crazy around here.  Three weeks ago I helped with a dog rescue by transporting a huge Akbash, Max, to Vancouver BC to meet his new adopter.  Max is 9 months old and a total sweetheart.  Here he is in the van, relaxing on the way up north.



Am I handsome or what?
 

For the first time ever, I was given a complete interrogation by the Canadian border guard.  You would have thought I was smuggling arms into Canada in Max's tummy!  He finally decided my mom and I were safe and really were on our way to drop off the dog.   Whew.  Max went to a fabulous home on 7 fenced acres with access to a private beach on Vancouver Island.  Talk about the perfect life for an LGD.  

The following weekend, my mom and I drove down to Modesto, CA to pick up the newest (and last.  I really mean it this time!) addition to the farm.  Meet Smudge.


 I am the most adorable thing on the face of the earth.



The day I brought Smudge home, she seemed a little lethargic and her tummy was upset.  I took her to my vet and they found coccidia which is a parasite and relatively easy to treat.  We thought her symptoms were related to the parasite.  But the following night, I felt something was really wrong.  She was far too lethargic and sickly for just having a parasite.  I took her to the after hours emergency vet clinic, Seattle Veterinary Specialists, which is a state of the art veterinary hospital.  They diagnosed Smudge with parvo.  I was devastated as parvo is a very difficult disease to treat and puppies especially can die quite easily from it.  In addition to all that, when I picked Smudge up in California, she was emaciated.  I suspect Smudge was removed from her mother too early.  

So my newest baby was admitted to intensive care at the vet hospital.  She received round the clock care, she had a nurse assigned to her at all times, had multiple plasma transfusions in addition to a myriad of other IV's and antibiotics.  I went to visit her in isolation and it was pretty impressive to see the level of care she received.  Smudge is a resilient little girl.  She survived parvo and came home with my dad the day I went in for surgery.  Several thousand dollars later, my pup has been treated for parvo, coccidia and we just found out she has ringworm as well.  So mom gets to bathe her every day and apply creams twice a day to help her recover from that.  We are looking forward to the day she can finally be free of medications.  In the meantime, my brilliant little girl has been practicing her commands and learning via clicker training.  She picks things up faster than I can teach them so we look forward to puppy class when she is finally allowed out of the house.  Now for some photos:


 Sound asleep on my parents' sofa.



Dexter is a bit horrified by this creature that is his size but so much more!



Hook and Stabby want nothing to do with Smudge!



I am so cute I can't stand it.



Mom is hoping I am not really St. Bernard size!



Smudge is supposedly part Australian Shepherd and part St. Bernard.  We'll see what she turns out to be.  She has already sprouted up and is more gangly than when I picked her up.  It's hard to tell what Ms. Cuter than cute is going to be.  Lola has instantly become a patient and loving mother to Smudge and tolerates all sorts of indignities.  Baby on the other hand, is thoroughly put out by this creature that tries to engage him in play and jumps in his face.  I take great pains to protect Baby from being harassed and he is slowly adjusting to Smudge and her non-stop energy.  


In other news, my surgery so far does not appear to have been successful.  I am in denial about that and am putting off going to see the doctor for the moment.  I am trying to keep up with seeing people, my garden, my volunteering and managing my life in general.  I am very tired still as I don't eat much but I am making do for now.  For all those I have neglected to see or write, my apologies.  Things have been difficult lately.  I owe a tremendous amount to Smudge for making me laugh and my parents for always being there.  Some day I will be healthy again.  Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement.

3 comments:

hornblower said...

Oh she's so gorgeous!

What do the puppy growth charts predict for her adult size?

But your last para :( booooo. I hope you're wrong.

Spring is around the corner & I'm glad the puppy is keeping you busy & entertained. Puppies & sunshine make most things better (but some things need doctors & it would be nice if they just fixed this once & for all!) Fingers crossed for you.

tg said...

What a cutie! Scout and i are looking forward to coming to play again and will try not to scare all the cats into hiding again... no promises though.

Hoot n' Howl said...

You might just want to charge admission -- so many cute animals in one location! Thanks for the update.