I sewed TWO's ace wraps together today because I could not find diaper pins in that grocery store aisle of disposable everything, otherwise known as the baby aisle. So I had to sew. Yes, it's true I don't actually know how to sew. It's true that Home Ec was the only class I didn't do so well in, in high school. Why? Because I really don't care about sewing or cooking. I've made it this far without them and when I need those services, I go to the tailor or my mom's house. But once again I digress.
So of course I had not a single needle nor a single spool of thread for the above reasons so off I went to the drug store, bought the above in a cute little egg shaped container that contained all sorts of things I had no clue how to use or even why they were in there. Got out the needle and thread and began stabbing my ace wraps in random patterns until they were connected. This was not helped by the fact that I was yakking on the phone the entire time I was armed with a needle I don't know how to use. But the wraps are connected now (for how long is anyone's guess) and TWO is happily wearing his flatter, more attractive wrap.
I took TWO down to the slough where there is a walking trail we frequent at midday as it is usually very deserted. He went in style in his new dog chariot which I just purchased for the dogs as it has a much larger cargo area and lots of hidden compartments and storage for all their accoutrements. They are much more comfortable in this car as am I.

The new dog chariot/dog mobile/dog sled
Once there, the cold and snow clearly had driven people away as there were even less people than usual. We practiced sitting and taking treats keeping his focus on me and ears relaxed. He did fantastically well with people, even men. Not so good with leashed dogs today. Who among us hasn't silently cursed the person walking as close to you as space allows even though the entire trail is free for their use and you are clearly trying make a run for the hills and get as far away as possible. Yes, you tell yourself, it's true it's for public use and they can be wherever they want but just this once, could you PLEASE move over! I cannot climb a tree with my dog who is now going postal over your little yapper dog. Argh. But we survived though it wasn't pretty and it wasn't ideal.
One thing that I am now acutely aware of is how often, even with me, TWO's ears are back, he is not relaxed and he cringes when I reach over his head. The only difference with me is that he will tolerate it whereas with others he will run away. I can't believe I missed this but it's patently obvious now that I have seen Dr. Sung and become aware of the sit/ears pretty relaxation protocol. As yet, I have been unable to get him to perk his ears forward no matter what. I have cheese hot dogs soaking in the fridge waiting to be cooked in the hopes that they will aid us on this particular training. He is not nearly as relaxed at home as I had thought.
I have begun a lot of our projects at a really, really low level i.e. the trail work, sitting for a treat with ears forward and leaving a rake or broom lying on the back lawn so he gets used to things lying on the ground for some day when we try out agility. All these things I do on opposing days except for the sitting in a relaxed manner, so that he does not become overwhelmed or more stressed.
After listing out all that Dr. Sung wants me to add to his training, I came up with 12 major points we need to work on so I had to make a rough time line to figure out how to implement them all without overwhelming the both of us. When I think about the time, money and effort that have gone into trying to rehabilitate TWO, it is all minute when, like today, I woke up from my sickbed on the couch and found him with his weird 7 toed front right foot resting gently on my cheek and him licking my nose as though he knew I was sick and was terribly concerned. It was such a human gesture that it brought a tear to my eye. He is such a unique, gentle, charming dog in so many ways and if I am the only one who ever gets to see that, so be it. It's more than worth the sometimes grief, often stress and frequent depletion of money, time and energy to give this remarkable dog a loving home. He gives me great joy that far exceeds what he takes.
Lastly, at the expense of my Economist reading, I just finished this book:
A friend, knowing me all too well, gave it to me for Christmas and it took me til a few weeks ago to start it. It was fantastic and really thought provoking. I will definitely recommend it as our next book at my book club meeting in March. (Don't be fooled by the term "book club meeting". What that translates to is a bunch of girls sitting around drinking wine, looking erudite, gossiping, eating hors d'oeuvres and mentioning the book every half hour or so before we go back to girly things.)But anyway, it was a great book which as always, starts with a really simple premise that evolves into an incredibly complex series of events that challenge the characters morally and ethically and make them behave in ways they normally never would. I think of it as the Thelma and Louise syndrome. In this case, the one pivotal event is closing a town to any outsiders during the First World War when there is a lethal outbreak of the flu. In order to keep their town (a kind of utopia) safe from the flu, a quarantine is introduced and it leads to all sorts of problems. I won't spoil it for those who might read it but it's a many layered book you could talk about for days.
And now my neglected Economists beckon...

No comments:
Post a Comment